Only 8% of people achieve their New Year’s Resolutions*
There is an explanation for this and some tangible things we can do to increase these odds.
Studies** have revealed that we’re thinking of our future selves as the best version of us. When we set goals we don’t set goals for the current self to succeed, we set goals for the future self to achieve. The result is that we set unreasonable goals that are unlikely to be achieved.
One way to avoid this trap is to start by making an audit of where we are today and setting realistic future goals.
Here are 7 helpful tips to greatly increase your chances of reaching your goals:
1. Know what you are starting with.
Write down a few areas where you would like to change or see growth in 2023 and rate your current state from 1 to 10. (1 being the least satisfied and 10 being the best).
2. Reflect on where you would like to be at the end of 2023.
Consider your current state, strengths, and opportunities. Write next to the current rating the rating of where you would like to be at the end of 2023. Be ambitious, but realistic.
3. Identify the barriers that tend to get in the way of you reaching your goals.
Ask yourself “What can get in the way of me achieving my goals?” and write down the barriers you need to remove or choose to not let them get in your way.
In the comments are links to a few of my posts that can help you with some of the barriers you might encounter.
4. Write 3 to 5 SMART goals that you would like to achieve in the next 6-12 months.
SMART stands for:
5. Identify a few actions that you can take to get started.
Break your action steps down into small tasks you can complete in short periods of time. This will help you have consistent small wins. These small wins will give you the dopamine boost needed to stay on track.
6. Review and track your progress regularly.
Have a way to visibly track your progress and check your progress regularly.
This is important to:
– celebrate what you have accomplished,
– encourage you to continue, and
– adjust them in case some circumstances change.
7. Have an accountability partner.
Having regular check-ins with someone you trust and who cares about your goals is crucial. This can help you overcome possible obstacles and stay on track to achieving your goals.
I added in the comments how I put this into practice in 2022.
What would you add to this list?
Which of the 7 tips is the hardest for you?
Also Read: Precision, inches and seconds count